Sunday, September 5, 2010

Mobo Sushi: Strip-mall sushi that deserves respect

Mobo Sushi MenuI'd been craving sushi for a few days, and I knew that Jun Sushi on Centennial (which won "Best of" in The Gazette this year) is closed on Sundays. I'd been wanting to try Ai Sushi (also on Centennial), but after a quick look at the Web site, I realized it's not open on Sundays, either. Hmmm.

Though I usually don't give much credence to Urbanspoon Colorado Springs ratings, I decided to check the sushi listings, where I found Mobo Sushi. Located on Academy, just north of Vickers, the restaurant had a rating of 94 percent, with 51 votes. I was intrigued.

Aaron and I headed to the restaurant, which was nearly empty. The inside of the restaurant looked totally different than its strip-mall exterior. Decorated with Asian decor like fans and bamboo, the atmosphere felt pleasant and casual. We were seated at a table beside the sushi bar and given several menus.
Mobo Sushi Rolls
Feeling frugal, we settled on some options from the Roll Combo Special menu, which offers three rolls for $12.99. We started with the spicy California roll, spicy tuna roll, and Hawaiian roll (tuna and avocado). Our server brought each of us a complimentary bowl of miso soup, which we both thought had more flavor than the miso soup we'd had at Jun. All three sushi rolls were fresh and tasty, but the spicy California roll was the star. It was so delicious that I had to have another order. For our second order, we also tried a Crab Tempura roll and a Beef Teriyaki roll. Both were fantastic!

Mobo SushiThe service was excellent, too. Our server was attentive and made sure our drinks stayed full. Overall, we were pretty impressed, and I'm sure we'll be back.

Kirin Beer
My rating:  5

Mobo Sushi on Urbanspoon







1 comment:

ikickrocks said...

I absolutely love this place. Their special rolls keep me coming back time after time. I literally crave their M&K and Aspen rolls. I've tried rolls that were similar at other places in town, but no one really makes it they way they do. Now, I want some.. great. >.<;;